YMCA Member, Participant, and Guest Code of Conduct
Our membership code of conduct embodies the spirit of the Y, and is intended to help everyone including members, participants, and guests feel welcome and safe at the YMCA.
As a member, participant or guest, you agree to follow our code of conduct which is rooted in the values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and equity. That's why the following personal conduct is prohibited in all YMCA facilities and programs:
- Inappropriate use of membership. Card sharing, presenting false identification, or intentional abuse or non-compliance of YMCA policies.
- Inappropriate attire. Appropriate attire must be worn at all times. No clothing with vulgar language, obscene gestures, racial slurs, or anything that contributes to a hostile environment or would be considered inappropriate in a family facility. Tops and bottoms should be adequately covered for the activity. Footwear is required in the facility except the aquatics area or for select classes in studios. We reserve the right to deny use of the facility to any person whose attire we do not consider to be appropriate in connection with the public image of the YMCA.
- Inappropriate language. Hostile or vulgar language, including swearing, name-calling or shouting.
- Threatening physical contact. Physical contact with another person in any hostile or threatening way including, but not limited to "play fighting".
- Sexual conduct. Any demonstration of sexual activity or sexual contact with another person, including explicit conversations.
- Harassment / Intimidation. Harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language or any menacing behavior that demeans another person or culture.
- Theft / Destruction of Property. Theft or behavior that results in the destruction of property.
- Weapons. Carrying or concealing any weapons or devices or objects that may be used as weapons (including items that appear to be real). The YMCA bans all weapons on premises with or without a permit.
- Illegal chemicals or alcohol. Using or possessing alcohol or drugs on YMCA property, in YMCA vehicles, or at YMCA sponsored programs.
- Loitering. Loitering is not permitted in or outside YMCA facilities or programs.
- Tobacco. The use of tobacco or tobacco-like products, including e-cigarettes, are not permitted in or outside YMCA facilities or programs, or on YMCA property or program sites. YMCA facilities, ground, and vehicles are a tobacco-free environment.
- Social Media. Use of social networking websites in a manner that is contrary to the YMCA's mission, is detrimental to the community or is in violation of the law.
- Inappropriate cell phone activity. Cell phone or photographic/video equipment use of any kind - organizing playlists, music, texting, camera functions, video recording - is not permitted in the locker rooms at any time. Phone calls are not allowed in fitness areas.
- Inappropriate / Illegal conduct. Any other conduct of an inappropriate, threatening or offensive nature. Any behavior or activity that is against the law.
All issues that are in violation of the code of conduct should be reported to a YMCA team member.
Suspension or termination of YMCA membership may result from a violation of this Code of Conduct. While an incident is being investigated, the membership of the person(s) accused of violating this Code of Conduct may be temporarily suspended pending a final decision.
To create and maintain a space that embodies our core values, the Y is serious about being clear regarding activities that are not allowed. If you or your invited guests violate this code of conduct, consequences can include termination of membership or program privileges. The YMCA reserves the right to make situational decisions based on its mission and values.