Job Title: Wellness Center (Flexible Schedule) (All Shifts Available)
Posted: October 4, 2019
Status: Part Time Non-Exempt
Wage Range: $9.86+ per hour
Promote a positive, professional and welcoming atmosphere by providing excellent service to all Y and community members and guests in the Wellness Center. Responds to needs and provide guidance on ways to support healthy lifestyles and healthy lifestyle changes. Promote programs and services and maintain the cleanliness and organization of the wellness floor to include cardio, strength and free weight areas and the indoor walking/running track. Greets everyone, answer questions and provide tours as needed. The Wellness Center staff are responsible for developing, delivering and administering the wellness/fitness programs for the Y. This includes the Health and Wellness Fitness Center, promotion of Personal Training and Specialty Programs.
Y staff receive an Adult Membership or upgrade your Adult Membership to a Family Membership for the difference in cost.
We are looking for someone who can work flexible hours. All shifts are available. Join the fun and help support our community in healthy opportunities at the Y. Interested but have questions? Email: Anne@northfieldymca.org.
- Build personal and meaningful relationships with members, participants, volunteers, guests, donors and others.
- Work daily to fulfill the Y’s mission of building strong kids, strong families and a strong community.
- Effectively manage a safe Wellness atmosphere that is encouraging, informative, welcoming and motivating for all members and guests. Create a non-intimidating environment where member/guests feel safe and supported.
- Support all wellness programs in accordance with Y policies and procedures to meet set goals and objectives.
- Implement and provide input to assist in the development of new programs to include health promotion events and fitness challenges.
- Ensure the cleanliness of the entire Health & Wellness Floor.
- Attend all staff training and meetings as required.
- Be “hands on” in all areas including working on the wellness floor, personal training, conducting orientations and other areas as needed.
- Serve members, guests, participants and the public including giving tours, answering questions and ensuring top quality customer service.
- Care for and maintain YMCA equipment, supplies and property.
- Have complete knowledge of all emergency procedures.
- Promote Y membership and participation in Y programs, services and events
- Participate in professional development opportunities, workshops and conferences as requested.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader)
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve
others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and
perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s
point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning;
speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to
another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an
openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Education and/or equivalent knowledge relating to fitness, exercise physiology, or health and wellness
- Minimum of 1 year of experience working in Health and Fitness program or environment
- Excellent organization, communication, and administration skills
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Must be self-directed, motivated, and creative
- Ability to work with diverse population
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule
- Attend YMCA Healthy Lifestyles within 90 days of hire.
- CPR/PR, First Aid, AED, and Oxygen certifications (within 30 days of hire).
- Perform all physical aspects of the position which include working with youth and adults in wellness center activities
- Ability to give tours of the facility
- National Fitness Certification.
- Degree in Health and Science or related field.
- Personal Trainers
The mission of the Northfield Area Family YMCA is to build strong kids, strong families and a stronger community. Since 2005, the Northfield Y has served thousands of youth, families and individuals in the community through its full slate of annual programming, camps, youth sports and fitness offerings utilizing numerous locations. In August 2014, a brand new facility opened to serve our community. The facility includes an indoor pool, a full service wellness center to include cardio and strength equipment, fitness studio and personal training, child watch (babysitting), locker rooms and a large community multi-purpose room.
Northfield Community Information
Northfield is bursting with vibrant culture, esteemed academics, celebrated arts, progressive technology and a cherished history. Our community has two high quality private colleges, St. Olaf and Carleton, and a highly rated public school system with charter and private options available as well. The Cannon River flows through the city providing picturesque beauty all year round giving that small town feel (pop: 20,000) though just a hop-skip and a jump from the Twin Cities. Northfield is 30 miles south of Minneapolis or 25 driving miles from Burnsville.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application can be found below: