Job Title: Shuttle Bus Driver
Posted: July 8, 2021
Status: Part Time Non-Exempt
Wage Range: $20.50 - $21.00 Per Hour
Work for a Local Non-Profit partnership with a mission to build strong kids, strong families, and a strong community! The BUS FOR US is a partnership with the Northfield Area Family YMCA and Northfield HCI to help fill transportation needs in the Northfield Area. Flexible schedule, competitive pay, mission fulfillment, and an Adult membership at the YMCA are just a few of the benefits of being a driver for the BUS FOR US!
COLLABORATIVE TRANSPORTATION VENTURE PARTNERSHIP INFORMATION:
The Northfield Area Family YMCA and the Northfield Healthy Community Initiative (HCI) work together to support a wide variety of community programs and provides opportunities for youth, families, and adults in programs that support unmet community needs.
Under the direction of the YMCA’s Building & Maintenance Director, and in accordance with the goals and objectives of the Northfield Area Family YMCA and the Northfield Healthy Community Initiative, shuttle bus drivers are responsible for transporting students and families over scheduled routes and/or to/from special excursions in a 25-passenger vehicle; ensuring vehicle is in a safe operating condition and ensuring safety of riders during transport, loading and unloading from the shuttle bus.
Hours are flexible, most driving is within or close to the Northfield community. Schedules are created in advance. Drivers sign up for trips that work in their schedules. Drivers are YMCA employees who support both YMCA and Healthy Community Initiative (HCI) programs.
All YMCA employees who work a minimum of two shifts a week will receive a free YMCA Adult Membership. Upgrade that members to a Family Membership for the monthly cost difference.
Candidates should be 21 years of age or older and have no moving violations.
To apply complete a YMCA employment application (found at northfieldymca.org at the bottom of page under current job openings) and submit to Jeremy@northfieldymca.org or drop off at the front desk at the Y.
- Assists passengers (e.g., seating, restraints, special equipment, etc.) for the purpose of providing safe loading and unloading from vehicle
- Assists with both emergency situations and normal transport.
- Attends trainings for vehicle safety and learn the policies and procedures of the Northfield Area YMCA.
- Communicates with respect and Y values to all passengers.
- Maintains shuttle bus cleanliness each work day.
- Drives shuttle bus for the purpose of transporting youth and adults over scheduled routes and to/from schools, the YMCA and/or field trips in a safe and timely manner.
- Prepares documentation (e.g. daily mileage and condition reports, incident/accident reports, inspections, disciplinary and positive behavior reports, mileage, fuel needs, etc.) for the purpose of providing written support and/or conveying information.
- Monitors passengers during transit for the purpose of ensuring the safety of passengers.
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip inspections as required for the purpose of ensuring the safe operating condition of the vehicle.
- Engages with youth and community members who have diverse abilities and from different backgrounds.
- Treats all members of the Y and community with respect and inclusive-minded language.
- Must have a CDL license with an endorsement to transport passengers
- 21 years of age or older and have no moving violations
- Must have strong communication skills with both adults and children
- Ability to work with a diverse community
- Excellent organization, communication, and administration skills
- CPR/First Aide, Child Abuse Prevention, and Bloodborne Pathogens Certifications (within 30 days of hire).
- Must be able to pass a (1) criminal background check and (2) driver’s license check to ensure no moving violations
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to: climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, stand, sit for an extended period of time, lift and/or move up to 75 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity.
- The work is performed both indoors and out, and may require travel to various locations.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The mission of the Northfield Area Family YMCA is to build strong kids, strong families and a stronger community. Since 2005, the Northfield Y has served thousands of youth, families and individuals in the community through its full slate of annual programming, camps, youth sports and fitness offerings utilizing numerous locations. In August 2014, a brand new facility opened to serve our community. The facility includes an indoor pool, a full service wellness center to include cardio and strength equipment, fitness studio and personal training, child watch (babysitting), locker rooms and a large community multi-purpose room.
Northfield Community Information
Northfield is bursting with vibrant culture, esteemed academics, celebrated arts, progressive technology and a cherished history. Our community has two high quality private colleges, St. Olaf and Carleton, and a highly rated public school system with charter and private options available as well. The Cannon River flows through the city providing picturesque beauty all year round giving that small town feel (pop: 20,000) though just a hop-skip and a jump from the Twin Cities. Northfield is 30 miles south of Minneapolis or 25 driving miles from Burnsville.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to email@example.com. Application can be found below: