Job Title: Personal Trainer
Posted: April 22, 2021
Status: Part Time Non-Exempt
Wage Range: $16.00 - $20.00 Per Hour
The Personal Trainer follows the YMCA of the USA Health and Fitness guidelines and is responsible for planning and leading a range of individualized or group exercise/activity sessions for clients in a fitness specialty area. They perform a variety of fitness programs that are both educational and motivational
and provide guidance on ways to support healthy lifestyles and healthy lifestyle changes. The Personal Trainer
also provides customer service which promotes member wellness in accordance with the YMCA policies and
procedures and creates a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment. This position supports the work of the
YMCA, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living,
and social responsibility.
Develop, implement, and instruct a variety of personal training and group training sessions for clients at
an appropriate level and in the appropriate modality based on clients wants, needs, and ability. Provide
encouragement and expertise for the client in support of their health and well-being goals.
• Administer, track, and evaluate health history questionnaires, fitness assessments, and other preparticipation documentation with regard to individual exercise programs.
• Adhere to all guidelines and expectations as outlined in the Northfield Area Family YMCA Employee
Handbook which includes but is not limited to providing safe classes and sessions and responding to and
reporting any accidents or incidents.
• Educates members in proper use of equipment.
• Provides a cohesive approach to customer service and training that directly impacts the participant’s
commitment and personal growth.
• Maintains client list and records as required by the Program Director.
• Promote and sell personal training programs and services.
• Maintain required CECs and national certifications.
• Follow Wellness Floor or Pool expectations when not scheduled for personal training, group training, or
performing a consultation.
- Personal Trainer Certification through a nationally accredited organization including, but not limited to
NETA, NASM, ACE, ACSM, AEA. Must hold an Aqua Specialty Certification if personal training is to be
done in the pool.
• Certifications required within 30 days of hire: CPR/AED, First Aid, and Child Abuse Prevention
• Formal training in the specialty class being taught and/or ability to demonstrate the movements and
• Demonstrates customer services skills and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrates ability to lead an individual/group and motivate others to achieve their health and well being goals.
• Demonstrates ability working with all age groups and ability levels.
• Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
• Degree in health and science or related field.
• Minimum of 1-year experience in the health and fitness field.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to lead sessions and classes, demonstrating exercise techniques and perform associated physical
• Ability to lift 50 pounds.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and
fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive relationships with them. Supports
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals,
clarifies tasks, plans work, and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value
experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to
change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and
limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The mission of the Northfield Area Family YMCA is to build strong kids, strong families and a stronger community. Since 2005, the Northfield Y has served thousands of youth, families and individuals in the community through its full slate of annual programming, camps, youth sports and fitness offerings utilizing numerous locations. In August 2014, a brand new facility opened to serve our community. The facility includes an indoor pool, a full service wellness center to include cardio and strength equipment, fitness studio and personal training, child watch (babysitting), locker rooms and a large community multi-purpose room.
Northfield Community Information
Northfield is bursting with vibrant culture, esteemed academics, celebrated arts, progressive technology and a cherished history. Our community has two high quality private colleges, St. Olaf and Carleton, and a highly rated public school system with charter and private options available as well. The Cannon River flows through the city providing picturesque beauty all year round giving that small town feel (pop: 20,000) though just a hop-skip and a jump from the Twin Cities. Northfield is 30 miles south of Minneapolis or 25 driving miles from Burnsville.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application can be found below: