Job Title: Lifeguards (All shifts available)
Posted: October 4, 2019
Status: Part Time Non-Exempt
Wage Range: $9.86+ (based on experience) (Additional pay for early morning shifts)
Under the direction of the Aquatics Program Director, lifeguards maintain safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas and create a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
All lifeguard shirts are currently available. Certification is available at the Y.
Shifts range from early morning opening hours (the Y opens at 5am) through to early afternoon and evening hours. Need certification or re-certification? We can certify you (Red Cross certification) with financial assistance.
Incumbent will receive an Adult Membership (valued at $48 per month) or upgrade your Adult Membership to a Family Membership (valued at $76 per month) for the difference.
Our pool is an indoor shallow pool ranging from 7 inches to 5 feet deep. We have lap lanes, a slide and water features to include basketball and volleyball nets as well as men's, women's, and family locker rooms.
The Northfield Area Family YMCA is a nonprofit, public charity working to build strong kids, strong families and a strong community.
Please submit your employment application (located on the Y's website or at the front desk) to Anne Kirchberg (email@example.com).
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Attends all staff meetings and in-service training.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Minimum age of 16.
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen (available at the YMCA)
- Current YMCA Lifeguard or equivalent certification (available at the YMCA)
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- Certifications requiredwithin 90 days of hire: Child Abuse Prevention, CPR, First Aid and Blood Borne Pathogen
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility. Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- Meet strength and lifting requirements.
- See and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility.
The mission of the Northfield Area Family YMCA is to build strong kids, strong families and a stronger community. Since 2005, the Northfield Y has served thousands of youth, families and individuals in the community through its full slate of annual programming, camps, youth sports and fitness offerings utilizing numerous locations. In August 2014, a brand new facility opened to serve our community. The facility includes an indoor pool, a full service wellness center to include cardio and strength equipment, fitness studio and personal training, child watch (babysitting), locker rooms and a large community multi-purpose room.
Northfield Community Information
Northfield is bursting with vibrant culture, esteemed academics, celebrated arts, progressive technology and a cherished history. Our community has two high quality private colleges, St. Olaf and Carleton, and a highly rated public school system with charter and private options available as well. The Cannon River flows through the city providing picturesque beauty all year round giving that small town feel (pop: 20,000) though just a hop-skip and a jump from the Twin Cities. Northfield is 30 miles south of Minneapolis or 25 driving miles from Burnsville.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application can be found below: