Job Title: Lifeguard (all shifts available)
Posted: April 22, 2021
Status: Part Time Non-Exempt
Wage Range: $10.08 - $11.00 Per Hour
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Lifeguard at Northfield Area Family YMCA creates a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals while promoting and maintain safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck and surrounding areas in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
Morning, evening, and weekend shifts available.
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool area.
- Responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures; completes related reports as required.
- Responds to challenges with possible solutions in a timely manner.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies, and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Remains calm and objective when under pressure or when challenged by others.
- Performs all secondary duties in a timely manner as required for each shift.
- Performs all lifeguard duties, including ability to lift people out of pool, perform CPR, scan pool to ensure safety of participants.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state health department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving and for the duration of the shift.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Attends Staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Prefer lifeguards 18 years of age and older; minimum age of 16
- Certifications: YMCA Lifeguard or equivalent (must include CPR/AED, First Aid)
- Child abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date
- Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental readiness
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Perform a Lifeguard Skills test during the interview process; includes endurance, a timed event, and demonstration of CPR and lifeguard rescue skills.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility.
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- Able to work and make decisions independently as well as in a team atmosphere.
- See and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility.
- Able to lift at least 50 pounds.
The mission of the Northfield Area Family YMCA is to build strong kids, strong families and a stronger community. Since 2005, the Northfield Y has served thousands of youth, families and individuals in the community through its full slate of annual programming, camps, youth sports and fitness offerings utilizing numerous locations. In August 2014, a brand new facility opened to serve our community. The facility includes an indoor pool, a full service wellness center to include cardio and strength equipment, fitness studio and personal training, child watch (babysitting), locker rooms and a large community multi-purpose room.
Northfield Community Information
Northfield is bursting with vibrant culture, esteemed academics, celebrated arts, progressive technology and a cherished history. Our community has two high quality private colleges, St. Olaf and Carleton, and a highly rated public school system with charter and private options available as well. The Cannon River flows through the city providing picturesque beauty all year round giving that small town feel (pop: 20,000) though just a hop-skip and a jump from the Twin Cities. Northfield is 30 miles south of Minneapolis or 25 driving miles from Burnsville.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application can be found below: