Job Title: Custodian
Posted: July 5, 2019
Status: Part Time Non-Exempt
Wage Range: $10.00
Join the amazing YMCA staff team. Various shifts are available doing custodial work in a clean well kept facility. Position includes an Adult Membership at the Y.
The Northfield Area Family YMCA is a nonprofit, public charity working to build strong kids, strong families and a strong community.
For more information, contact Jeremy Mork (507-645-0088 or Jeremy@northfieldymca.org).
- Maintains the cleanliness of the Northfield Y; performs general cleaning duties such as sweeping and mopping floors, vacuuming, cleaning restrooms, washing windows, dusting counters, desks, and filing cabinets, emptying wastebaskets, and cleaning drinking fountains.
- Restocks toilet paper, hand towels, soap, and trash bags; locks and unlocks doors.
- Removes snow, ice and trash from around entryways to the building.
- Utilizes various machines and equipment in the delivery of service, such as vacuum cleaner, floor buffer, carpet shampooer, pressure washer, hand tools, snow blower, and snow shovels.
- Acts as a member of the staff team by setting up/taking down equipment for programs, meetings, special events, and other maintenance logistical needs.
- Be alert to risk management and respond/repair to safety issues immediately.
- Communicates repair needs out of the scope of their ability to the Building and Grounds Director.
- Works as a member of the staff team and interact with members, guests and other community leaders in a positive manner.
- Attend all staff meetings as required.
- Uphold YMCA policies and philosophy; use character development as a basis in working with members, participants, the public and staff.
- Have a complete knowledge of all emergency procedures.
- Assist Building and Grounds Director as requested.
- The applicant must be able to fulfill the above job requirements by purposefully and seamlessly challenging her/himself and others to accept and demonstrate the positive values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Ensures the proper operation of all mechanical systems and overall safety of the facilities, and grounds.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve
others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and
perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s
point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning;
speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to
another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an
openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or GED
- Minimum of two years in custodial services, or related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position.
- Ability to read and interpret instructions, procedures, manuals, SDS and other documents.
- Understanding of cleaning compounds and chemicals, and their safe, efficient use.
- Certifications required within 90 days of hire: CPR/AED or other trainings as required
- Sufficient physical strength and agility to carry out essential duties.
- Ability to erect and stand on ladders and platforms at heights up to 30 feet.
- Ability to work with paint, cleaning equipment, chemical compounds, solvents, cleaners, and solutions in dry, liquid, powder, spray, and aerosol forms.
- Ability to work in conditions that will create dirt and dust.
- Ability to perform essential maintenance to facility or equipment which may involve, but not limited to the following activities: semi – reaching to full-reach overhead; crouching; kneeling; shoveling; carrying, working in narrow and/or confining spaces: underground, overhead, and at ground level; twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs; and lying on stomach and/or back.
The mission of the Northfield Area Family YMCA is to build strong kids, strong families and a stronger community. Since 2005, the Northfield Y has served thousands of youth, families and individuals in the community through its full slate of annual programming, camps, youth sports and fitness offerings utilizing numerous locations. In August 2014, a brand new facility opened to serve our community. The facility includes an indoor pool, a full service wellness center to include cardio and strength equipment, fitness studio and personal training, child watch (babysitting), locker rooms and a large community multi-purpose room.
Northfield Community Information
Northfield is bursting with vibrant culture, esteemed academics, celebrated arts, progressive technology and a cherished history. Our community has two high quality private colleges, St. Olaf and Carleton, and a highly rated public school system with charter and private options available as well. The Cannon River flows through the city providing picturesque beauty all year round giving that small town feel (pop: 20,000) though just a hop-skip and a jump from the Twin Cities. Northfield is 30 miles south of Minneapolis or 25 driving miles from Burnsville.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application can be found below: