Job Title: Child Watch Coordinator
Posted: July 2, 2019
Status: Part Time Non-Exempt
Wage Range: $12.50 - $13.50 Per Hour
Under the direction of the Youth Program Director and in accordance with the goals and objectives of the Northfield Area Family YMCA, the Child Watch Coordinator is responsible for the overall operations of the Child Watch program:
- The Child Watch program is a supervised drop-off child care program providing parents and other family members with up to two hours of care for their children while they are participate in other Northfield Area Family YMCA programs and services on-site. The program provides children an opportunity to play in a fun and safe environment, learn social skills, positive values, and healthy habits. Children 6 weeks to 9 years can enjoy activities that include arts & crafts, reading, gym games, outdoor play, and more.
This position is a part-time position with 15-20 hours hands-on and 10-15 hours of administrative/supervision work for a total of 25-35 hours a week and requires some split-shift work. Some mornings, evenings, and weekends will be required.
The Child Watch program is open for morning, evening, and weekend offerings. Visit the Northfield Area Family YMCA’s website and view the Child Watch calendar to view available working hours in the program (https://northfieldymca.org/calendars/child-watch/).
Incumbent will receive an Adult Membership with the option to upgrade your Adult Membership to a Family Membership for the difference.
Please submit your employments application (located on the Northfield Area Family YMCA’s website or at the front desk) to Alison Haider (email@example.com). Please clearly specify your staff supervision experience on your application material. Resumes are encouraged, but do not replace the Northfield Area Family YMCA’s employment application. Applications received by July 15 will receive first review.
The Northfield Area Family YMCA is non-profit working to build strong kids, strong families, and a strong community.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve
others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and
perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s
point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning;
speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to
another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an
openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Interviews, hires, and trains a staff team of 12+ employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; auditing and appraising performance; conducting staff meetings; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Ensures equipment, curriculum, supplies, rosters, staff, and locations are ready for all planned activities
- Implements and develops new program ideas to meet the needs of the community and fulfill the Northfield Area Family YCMA objectives to include meeting program, lesson plan, budget, and participation goals
- Ensures cleanliness and professional presentation of program area at all times
- Participate with children in opportunities to use their large muscles, both indoors and outdoors, with consideration for each child’s physical developmental capabilities
- Ensures strong parent or guardian communication to inform details of programs and any incidents that occur during the program
- Facilitates a program environment that invites exploration, promotes positive play, and welcomes children
- Ensures high quality programs and establishes new program activities in cooperation with staff team
- Ensures program operates within budget and that program fees are collected
- Ensures that Northfield Area Family YMCA program standards are met and safety procedures followed
- Provides for upkeep of Child Watch facilities and equipment and ensures the physical environment supports healthy living
- Builds personal and meaningful relationships with members, participants, volunteers, guests, donors, and others
- Maintains proper records/department files
- Has complete knowledge of all emergency procedures. Responsible for safety for the participants and never leave a program unsupervised. Responsible for ensuring that staff follow safety and supervision protocol at all times
- Documents and notifies supervisor of incident/accidents, damaged equipment, and supply needs
- Participates in professional development opportunities, workshops, and conferences as requested
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance and secures a substitute if unable to cover scheduled shifts
- Works daily to fulfill the Northfield Area Family YMCA’s mission of building strong kids, strong families, and a strong community
- Associate Degree in related field or equivalent education/training experience
- One to two year related experience preferred, as a coordinator or supervisor of child care programs
- One to two year experience supervising a staff team
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Must be self-directed, motivated, and creative
- The following certifications must be taken within 90 days of hire (offered at the Y): Child Abuse Prevention for Supervisory Staff, Adult/Child/Infant First Aid/CPR/AED; Blood borne Pathogens certifications
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position which include working with youth in the Child Watch Program to include interacting with children at floor level, physical education activities such as running, jumping, etc, lifting children and equipment, and participating in outdoor activities
The mission of the Northfield Area Family YMCA is to build strong kids, strong families and a stronger community. Since 2005, the Northfield Y has served thousands of youth, families and individuals in the community through its full slate of annual programming, camps, youth sports and fitness offerings utilizing numerous locations. In August 2014, a brand new facility opened to serve our community. The facility includes an indoor pool, a full service wellness center to include cardio and strength equipment, fitness studio and personal training, child watch (babysitting), locker rooms and a large community multi-purpose room.
Northfield Community Information
Northfield is bursting with vibrant culture, esteemed academics, celebrated arts, progressive technology and a cherished history. Our community has two high quality private colleges, St. Olaf and Carleton, and a highly rated public school system with charter and private options available as well. The Cannon River flows through the city providing picturesque beauty all year round giving that small town feel (pop: 20,000) though just a hop-skip and a jump from the Twin Cities. Northfield is 30 miles south of Minneapolis or 25 driving miles from Burnsville.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application can be found below: