Job Title: Aquatic Coordinator
Posted: July 15, 2021
Status: Part Time Non-Exempt
Wage Range: $12.25-$16.50
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. In conjunction with the Program Director with the goals and objectives of the Northfield Y, the Aquatic Coordinator is responsible for implementing age appropriate programs with high quality customer service. The goal is to provide a strong role model to all participants and connect with parents and youth in a meaningful way. This role also acts as a leader within the Aquatics Department, helping uphold the high safety and program standards held by the Northfield Area Family YMCA.
- Manages the day to day operations in the Aquatics department to adhere to all state, local, and YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community, and fulfill YMCA objectives.
- Model, teach, and incorporate the Y’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Ensures the safety of the facility by monitoring and reporting to the Program Director.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Attends all staff meetings and in-service trainings.
- Interacts with youth and adults of all ages. Models relationship-building skills in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner.
- Develops and implement programs to include meeting program goals, lesson plan goals, budget goals, and supports member retention.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information and ensures website and calendar information is accurate for group exercise.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules, and directs aquatics staff as needed for program objectives. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
- Monitors swim lesson classes for focus and participation. Provides feedback to instructors to improve quality of programming in alignment with the YMCA Swim Lesson Curriculum. Performs administrative tasks to ensure the success of the private and swim lesson programs.
- Plans and leads lifeguard and swim instructor in-service trainings.
- Leads certification courses for Swim Instructors and Lifeguards.
- Maintains hands-on Lifeguard and Swim Instructor hours.
- Excellent organization, communication, customer service, and administration skills.
- Minimum age of 21.
- Minimum of 1 year of supervision experience.
- Minimum of 1 year of swim lesson teaching or swim coaching experience.
- YMCA Lifeguard or equivalent certification, demonstrating skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- Certifications required within 30 days of hire: Child Abuse Prevention, Blood Borne Pathogen, Emergency Oxygen
- Strong commitment and knowledge of Aquatics.
- Ability to lift a person off the bottom and out of the water.
- Perform all skills required for Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR/AED certifications.
- Comfortable in the water.
- While performing duties of this job, employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to handle, or feel; reach with arms and hands. Employee must be able to talk, taste, smell and see (both near and far). Occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch.
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
The mission of the Northfield Area Family YMCA is to build strong kids, strong families and a stronger community. Since 2005, the Northfield Y has served thousands of youth, families and individuals in the community through its full slate of annual programming, camps, youth sports and fitness offerings utilizing numerous locations. In August 2014, a brand new facility opened to serve our community. The facility includes an indoor pool, a full service wellness center to include cardio and strength equipment, fitness studio and personal training, child watch (babysitting), locker rooms and a large community multi-purpose room.
Northfield Community Information
Northfield is bursting with vibrant culture, esteemed academics, celebrated arts, progressive technology and a cherished history. Our community has two high quality private colleges, St. Olaf and Carleton, and a highly rated public school system with charter and private options available as well. The Cannon River flows through the city providing picturesque beauty all year round giving that small town feel (pop: 20,000) though just a hop-skip and a jump from the Twin Cities. Northfield is 30 miles south of Minneapolis or 25 driving miles from Burnsville.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application can be found below: