Our pool is now open to lap and aerobic swim, water exercise classes, and group swim lessons!
Welcome to the Northfield Area Family YMCA pool! We have a 3 lane, 25 yard pool with an additional open swim area. A near-zero depth entry and a chair lift allows for accessibility for everyone! Our 86 degree pool is great for small swimmers and senior swimmers alike. We also have water features (a water slide and fountains) for a fun time for all.
Group Swimming Lessons at the Y – Beginning Saturday, September 19! Private Lessons: Coming Soon!
Dive right in with YUSA swimming lessons in our indoor pool!
Gain confidence and learn new skills in a fun, caring environment while increasing technique and physical activity levels. Plus, make new friends and feel more comfortable and secure around water. Lesson Selector
Health and safety are a top priority for us. The Northfield Area Family YMCA follows all COVID-19 related recommendations from the CDC and state and local health officials to ensure the wellness of our staff and participants. If you have any questions regarding our protocol, please contact Anne Kirchberg, Program Director at email@example.com (email) or 507-645-0088 (phone). Current protocols are:
- For lesson stages A/B through stage 2, we are requiring a guardian to be in the water with the student. Stage 3 may require a guardian in the water pending the instructor’s assessment of the swimmer’s independence in the water.
- Classes will have a limit to 4 children.
- Swimming lesson families are to use the family locker rooms. Please limit time in the locker room to 10 minutes to ensure our staff can disinfect between lessons. We recommend coming with your suit on under your clothes for an easier transition.
- Masks should not be worn while in the pool. They should be taken off before getting in the water and put back on after getting out.
Questions about lessons? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Swim Lesson Stages:
- 6 months – 3 years Parent & Child: Stages A-B
- 3 years – 5 years Preschool: Stages 1-4
- 5 years – 12 years School Age: Stages 1-6
- 12+ years Teen: Stages 1-6
- Adult swim lessons can be personalized varying from beginner to advanced to lap swimming lessons.
Helpful tips and frequently asked questions:
- Cost starts at $15/session.
- Private lessons and Group lessons available
- Swimming Lesson Selector (which class is right for my child?)
- Youth Swim Policy
- Y Membership is not required to participate in swimming programs
- Questions? Call us at 507-645-0088 or email email@example.com.
Register for Y Swimming Lessons
Brief Class Descriptions
The Y has swimming lessons for all ages and all levels of swimmers.
The Y’s all-new swimming lesson program:
New class level structure, new curriculum, longer sessions (8 instead of the previous 6 (cost per class is the same)), more instruction and more learning AND ALL NEW FUN!
What stage is your youth ready for? Click for our easy “Lesson Selector“.
Water Discovery A Introduces infants & toddlers to the aquatic environment
Water Discovery B Focuses on exploring body positions, blowing bubbles, and fundamental safety and aquatic skills
Stage 1: Water Acclimation Increases comfort with underwater exploration & introduces basic self-rescue skills performed with assistance
Stage 2: Water Movement Encourages forward movement in water and basic self-rescue skills performed independently
Stage 3: Water Stamina Develops intermediate self-rescue skills performed at longer distances than in previous stages
Stage 4: Stroke Introduction Introduces basic stroke technique in front crawl and back crawl and reinforces water safety through treading water and elementary backstroke
Stage 5: Stroke Development Introduces breaststroke & butterfly and reinforces water safety through treading water and sidestroke
Stroke 6: Stroke Mechanics Refines stroke technique on all major competitive strokes and encourages swimming as part of a healthy lifestyle
Become a member and save on swimming lessons! Click here for more information.
Private Swimming or Lap-Swimming Lessons
Returning Soon: Private Swimming Lessons for Youth or Adults
Adult or Youth Private Swimming or Lap-Swimming Lessons
Adult classes are tailored to your needs. Introduce or refine your skills, ranging from basic water comfort to adult basic swimming strokes and instruction to swimming more advanced strokes. Or, simply concentrate on skills needed to build a fluid crawl stroke with the help of certified instructors.
Youth or Adult Private Group Swimming Lessons
Work one-on-one with our certified instructors in a small group of your choice; set goals, and we’ll help you get there. Private swimming lessons are tailored to the groups needs. Introduce or refine your skills, ranging from basic water comfort to leanring swimming srokes and practicing more advanced strokes. Great for up to 3 siblings, friends or classmates.
Water Exercise Classes
The Y’s Water Exercise program encourages people of all ages to use the buoyant qualities of water to enhance their physical fitness through exercise. It’s an ideal form of exercise for all ages and increases physical strength and endurance without putting stress and strain on joints, as in land-based exercise. Swimmers and non-swimmers alike can take part in this type of exercise to reduce emotional stress and tension, improve health, and encourage and improve feelings of well-being and self-esteem.
For a printable copy of the current group exercise and water exercise programs, click here.