Job Title: Water Exercise Instructors – Ongoing Availability (training provided)
Posted: April 19, 2016
Status: Part Time Non-Exempt
Wage Range: $9.50 - $12.25 (hourly)
Under the direction of the Aquatics Coordinator, a Water Exercise Instructor will conduct safe aquatic classes in line with the mission of the Y.
If you have taught water exercise in the past, we would love to hear from you. Teach two classes a week and receive an Adult Y Membership as an employee benefit (upgrade to a Family Membership for the difference in fees ($27/mo)).
We are looking for individuals interested in helping making an impact on people's lives. Join the Y team!
- Energetic, dedicated and motivated and who enjoys teaching fitness to groups of teens and/or adults.
- Communicates verbally and project voice across a distance in a loud situation, while performing the workout in water averaging 84 degrees for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Demonstrates the core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility
- Instructs classes in accordance with Y guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the Y.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Follows all Y policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve
others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and
perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s
point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning;
speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to
another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification and Emergency Oxygen.
- Must be able to demonstrate aquatic instructor skills in accordance with Y standards.
- Be committed to the mission and goals of the YMCA.
- Full working knowledge of the facility’s safety and emergency procedures.
- Ability to see and hear noises in the aquatic environment and able to recognize swimmers who may need assistance.
- Patience and persistence coupled with the ability to relate to children and/or adults in a caring, professional manner.
Ability to demonstrate class movements and lift equipment used in classes.
The mission of the Northfield Area Family YMCA is to build strong kids, strong families and a stronger community. Since 2005, the Northfield Y has served thousands of youth, families and individuals in the community through its full slate of annual programming, camps, youth sports and fitness offerings utilizing numerous locations. In August 2014, a brand new facility opened to serve our community. The facility includes an indoor pool, a full service wellness center to include cardio and strength equipment, fitness studio and personal training, child watch (babysitting), locker rooms and a large community multi-purpose room.
Northfield Community Information
Northfield is bursting with vibrant culture, esteemed academics, celebrated arts, progressive technology and a cherished history. Our community has two high quality private colleges, St. Olaf and Carleton, and a highly rated public school system with charter and private options available as well. The Cannon River flows through the city providing picturesque beauty all year round giving that small town feel (pop: 20,000) though just a hop-skip and a jump from the Twin Cities. Northfield is 30 miles south of Minneapolis or 25 driving miles from Burnsville.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application can be found below: