Job Title: Swim Instructors (training / refresher training provided)
Posted: March 29, 2018
Status: Part Time Non-Exempt
Wage Range: $9.65+ (hourly based on experience)
Provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes. We are especially looking for swim instructors to join our team who can work evenings 6-8 pm and weekends. The Y will provide training or refresher training to all new swim instructors.
The Northfield Area Family YMCA is a nonprofit, public charity working to build strong kids, strong families and a strong community. Join the Y team!
1. Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with Y guidelines, having prepared lesson plans
2. Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the Y. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
3. Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
4. Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
5. Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
6. Follows all Y policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety
procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
7. Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
8. Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and
perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s
point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning;
speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification and Emergency Oxygen.
- Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- YMCA Swim Instructor certification, or equivalent.
- At least 16 years of age.
Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child.
The mission of the Northfield Area Family YMCA is to build strong kids, strong families and a stronger community. Since 2005, the Northfield Y has served thousands of youth, families and individuals in the community through its full slate of annual programming, camps, youth sports and fitness offerings utilizing numerous locations. In August 2014, a brand new facility opened to serve our community. The facility includes an indoor pool, a full service wellness center to include cardio and strength equipment, fitness studio and personal training, child watch (babysitting), locker rooms and a large community multi-purpose room.
Northfield Community Information
Northfield is bursting with vibrant culture, esteemed academics, celebrated arts, progressive technology and a cherished history. Our community has two high quality private colleges, St. Olaf and Carleton, and a highly rated public school system with charter and private options available as well. The Cannon River flows through the city providing picturesque beauty all year round giving that small town feel (pop: 20,000) though just a hop-skip and a jump from the Twin Cities. Northfield is 30 miles south of Minneapolis or 25 driving miles from Burnsville.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application can be found below: