Job Title: Summer Day Camp Counselor/Junior Day Camp Counselor
Posted: March 11, 2019
Status: Part Time Non-Exempt
Wage Range: $9.85+ (Based on Experience)
Under the direction of the Program Director and Assistant Day Camp Director and in accordance with the goals and objectives of the Northfield Area Family YMCA, all levels of camp counselors are responsible for working with youth in a wide variety of summer activities that strengthen youth imaginations and stretch their bodies. A successful camp counselor will be an enthusiastic person who wants to spend the summer working in an outdoor camp setting. They must be an advocate for the Y Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Responsibility, and Respect.
Staff will receive an Adult Membership (valued at $48 per month), or upgrade your Adult Membership to a Family Membership (valued at $76 per month) for the difference.
The Northfield Area Family YMCA is a nonprofit, public charity working to build strong kids, strong families, and a strong community.
- Organize and lead a variety of small and large group camp activities each week. Activities may include crafts, nature, songs, games, nature walks and adventure trails, swimming. This includes time spent on the bus
- Communicate with parents about participant's experiences and report concerns to supervisor
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation and daily attendance
- Build personal and meaningful relationships with participants, volunteers, parents and others
- Work daily to fulfill the Y’s mission of building strong kids, strong families and a strong community
- Participates with children in opportunities to use their large muscles, both indoors and outdoors, with consideration for each child’s physical and developmental capabilities
- Facilitates a program environment that invites exploration, promotes positive play, and welcomes children
- Supervises groups of children
- Works to implement summer curriculum and activities and experiences
- Be a strong role model for participants, parents and peers
- Maintain appropriate child to staff ratios
- Ensure the cleanliness of all program areas
- Serve members, guests, participants as requested
- Have complete knowledge of all emergency procedures
- Promote Y membership and participation in Y programs, services and events
- Participate in professional development opportunities, workshops and conferences as requested.
- Youth Entering 11th or 12th Grade and 16+ years old (Junior Day Camp Counselor)
- High school graduate and 18+ years old (Day Camp Counselor)
- Ability to work June 10 to Aug 30 (vacation days should be approved prior to employment)
- Ability to participate in trainings prior to June 12
- Current First Aid and CPR certifications by first day of camp (available during training)
- Previous experience or school course work in working with children
- Ability to lead, plan, organize and implement program activities
- Ability to work with a diverse community
- Excellent organization, communication, and administration skills
- Attend all Y trainings prior to the first day of camp
- Perform all physical aspects of the position which include working with youth to include interacting with children at floor level, physical education activities such as running, jumping, etc, lifting children and equipment, and participating in outdoor activities
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Must be self-directed, motivated, and creative
- Ability to work with diverse populations
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve
others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and
perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s
point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning;
speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to
another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an
openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and supplemental camp application found at www.northfieldymca.org and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to email@example.com. Application can be found below:
- Y Employment Application (required)
- Y Camp Supplemental Employment Application (required)
- Employee Handbook
The mission of the Northfield Area Family YMCA is to build strong kids, strong families and a stronger community. Since 2005, the Northfield Y has served thousands of youth, families and individuals in the community through its full slate of annual programming, camps, youth sports and fitness offerings utilizing numerous locations. In August 2014, a brand new facility opened to serve our community. The facility includes an indoor pool, a full service wellness center to include cardio and strength equipment, fitness studio and personal training, child watch (babysitting), locker rooms and a large community multi-purpose room.
Northfield Community Information
Northfield is bursting with vibrant culture, esteemed academics, celebrated arts, progressive technology and a cherished history. Our community has two high quality private colleges, St. Olaf and Carleton, and a highly rated public school system with charter and private options available as well. The Cannon River flows through the city providing picturesque beauty all year round giving that small town feel (pop: 20,000) though just a hop-skip and a jump from the Twin Cities. Northfield is 30 miles south of Minneapolis or 25 driving miles from Burnsville.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application can be found below: