Job Title: Day Camp Lead
Posted: March 11, 2019
Status: Part Time Non-Exempt
Wage Range: Based on Experience
Under the direction of the Program Director and Assistant Day Camp Director and in accordance with the goals and objectives of the Northfield Area Family YMCA, Day Camp Lead Counselors provide quality age-specific programs that are safe, fun, and encourage youth to grow and learn in a supportive environment. Camp Coordinators of Prairie and Wood Camp and WEE Camp are responsible for coordinating their specialty camp schedule and activities. A successful Day Camp Lead Counselor will be an enthusiastic person who wants to spend the summer working in an outdoor camp setting while supervising children and staff. They must be an advocate for the Y Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Responsibility, and Respect. Hours throughout the summer depend on specific leadership position.
Leadership Positions may include: Tween Day Camp Director, Prairie and Wood Camp Coordinator, WEE Camp Coordinator, Arts & Crafts Specialist, Sports Specialist, and Development Specialist.
Staff will receive an Adult Membership (valued at $48 per month), or upgrade your Adult Membership to a Family Membership (valued at $76 per month) for the difference.
The Northfield Area Family YMCA is a nonprofit, public charity working to build strong kids, strong families, and a strong community.
Please submit your employment application PLUS the camp supplemental application (located on the Y’s website or at the Y front desk) to Alison Haider (email@example.com).
- Assist in the daily functions of day camp operations
- Actively be able to participate in all program areas as needed, including set ups, carrying equipment, tear downs, check in/out, cleaning, and more
- Actively participate in hands-on hours in a day camp counselor capacity
- Develop and implement program activities for campers within the mission and outcomes of the Y.
- Responsible for providing day camp staff with the resources they need to ensure the quality of the program
- Assure counselor-to-camper ratios are kept
- Ability to use resources within your program budget
- Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior
- Attend/facilitate meetings with camp staff to discuss any issues, see how they are doing, and offer support as needed
- Be open to assisting Director with pre-camp training and post-camp wrap-up
- Build personal and meaningful relationships with participants, volunteers, parents, and others
- Maintain health and safety standards in all activities for campers and staff
- Ensure all health emergency records are on file and up to date for participants
- Secure and distribute camper medicine when necessary
- Have complete knowledge of all emergency procedures and be able to respond to emergency situations.
- Ability to work as a team player and leader.
- Establishes and implements methods of staff motivation during the summer months
- Represent the Northfield Area Family YMCA when interacting with parents and community members
- Provide parents appropriate feedback and information as needed for their campers to have a successful camp experience.
- Follow all safety and security guidelines when visiting places outside the Y, ensures campers are presenting a positive image of the camp and Northfield Y.
- High school graduate and 19+ years old (or returning staff member and 18+ years old)
- Ability to work June 10 to Aug 30 (vacation days should be approved prior to employment)
- Ability to participate in trainings prior to June 10
- Current First Aid and CPR certifications by first day of camp (available during training)
- Previous experience or school course work in working with children
- Ability to lead, plan, organize and implement program activities
- Ability to work with a diverse community
- Excellent organization, communication, and administration skills
- Attend all Y trainings prior to the first day of camp
- Perform all physical aspects of the position which include working with youth to include interacting with children at floor level, physical education activities such as running, jumping, etc, lifting children and equipment, and participating in outdoor activities
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Must be self-directed, motivated, and creative
- Ability to work with diverse populations
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve
others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and
perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s
point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning;
speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to
another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an
openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and supplemental camp application found at www.northfieldymca.org and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application can be found below:
- Y Employment Application (required)
- Y Camp Supplemental Employment Application (required)
- Employee Handbook
The mission of the Northfield Area Family YMCA is to build strong kids, strong families and a stronger community. Since 2005, the Northfield Y has served thousands of youth, families and individuals in the community through its full slate of annual programming, camps, youth sports and fitness offerings utilizing numerous locations. In August 2014, a brand new facility opened to serve our community. The facility includes an indoor pool, a full service wellness center to include cardio and strength equipment, fitness studio and personal training, child watch (babysitting), locker rooms and a large community multi-purpose room.
Northfield Community Information
Northfield is bursting with vibrant culture, esteemed academics, celebrated arts, progressive technology and a cherished history. Our community has two high quality private colleges, St. Olaf and Carleton, and a highly rated public school system with charter and private options available as well. The Cannon River flows through the city providing picturesque beauty all year round giving that small town feel (pop: 20,000) though just a hop-skip and a jump from the Twin Cities. Northfield is 30 miles south of Minneapolis or 25 driving miles from Burnsville.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to email@example.com. Application can be found below: