Job Title: 15-Passenger Van Drivers
Posted: October 1, 2018
Status: Part Time Non-Exempt
Wage Range: $15-$15.50 per hour (based on experience)
COLLABORATIVE TRANSPORTATION VENTURE PARTNERSHIP INFORMATION:
The Northfield Healthy Community Initiative (HCI) and the Northfield Area Family YMCA are working together on a collaborative transportation venture. This partnership supports a wide variety of community programs and provides opportunities for youth, families and adults in programs that support unmet community needs.
Under the direction of the YMCA’s Building & Maintenance Director, and in accordance with the goals and objectives of the Northfield Area Family YMCA and the Northfield Healthy Community Initiative, van drivers are responsible for transporting students and families over scheduled routes and/or to/from special excursions in a 15-passenger vehicle; ensuring vehicle is in a safe operating condition and ensuring safety of riders during transport, loading and unloading from the van.
Hours are flexible, most driving is within or close to the Northfield community. Schedules are created in advance. Drivers sign up for trips that work in their schedules. Drivers are YMCA employees who support both YMCA and Healthy Community Initiative (HCI) programs.
All YMCA employees who work a minimum of two shifts a week will receive a free YMCA Adult Membership. Upgrade that members to a Family Membership for the monthly cost difference.
Candidates should be 25 years of age or older and have a no moving violations. Candidates that are 22 years of age or older could be approved (insurance dependent) and must also have no moving violations.
To apply complete YMCA employment application (found on the Y's "Jobs" page) and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at the front desk at the Y.
- Assists students and other passengers (e.g. seating, restraints, special equipment, etc.) for the purpose of providing safe loading and unloading from vehicles including both emergency situations and normal transport.
- Attends training as required for safe operation of the vehicle.
- Communicates with passengers on the van to include adults and youth.
- Maintains van cleanliness for the purpose of ensuring safety, appearance and sanitation of vehicle.
- Drives vans for the purpose of transporting youth and adults over scheduled routes and to/from schools, the YMCA and/or field trips in a safe and timely manner.
- Prepares documentation (e.g. daily mileage and condition reports, incident/accident reports, inspections, disciplinary and positive behavior reports, mileage, fuel needs, etc.) for the purpose of providing written support and/or conveying information.
- Monitors passengers during transit for the purpose of maintaining order and ensuring the safety of passengers.
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip inspections as required for the purpose of ensuring the safe operating condition of the vehicle.
- Recommends routes for the purpose of coordinating efficient travel routes.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- 25 years of age or older and have no moving violations
- Candidates may be able to drive at age 22+ with history of clean driving record and no moving violations
- Must have strong communication skills with both adults and children
- Ability to work with a diverse community
- Excellent organization, communication, and administration skills
Perform all physical aspects of the position, which include operating the vehicle, as well as assisting youth or adults in/out of the vehicle and assisting with seat restraints as needed
1 year of experience working with youth
The mission of the Northfield Area Family YMCA is to build strong kids, strong families and a stronger community. Since 2005, the Northfield Y has served thousands of youth, families and individuals in the community through its full slate of annual programming, camps, youth sports and fitness offerings utilizing numerous locations. In August 2014, a brand new facility opened to serve our community. The facility includes an indoor pool, a full service wellness center to include cardio and strength equipment, fitness studio and personal training, child watch (babysitting), locker rooms and a large community multi-purpose room.
Northfield Community Information
Northfield is bursting with vibrant culture, esteemed academics, celebrated arts, progressive technology and a cherished history. Our community has two high quality private colleges, St. Olaf and Carleton, and a highly rated public school system with charter and private options available as well. The Cannon River flows through the city providing picturesque beauty all year round giving that small town feel (pop: 20,000) though just a hop-skip and a jump from the Twin Cities. Northfield is 30 miles south of Minneapolis or 25 driving miles from Burnsville.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an employment application and return to 1501 Honeylocust Drive, Northfield MN 55057 or to email@example.com. Application can be found below: