Counselors-In-Training (CIT) Program
Counselors-in-Training or “CITs” are participants entering grades 8-10 or up to age 15 who are looking for leadership experience or who may want to apply for a job at the Y in the future (must be 16 years of age to apply for a position at the Y). Counselors-in-Training will learn the specific skills needed for working with kids and co-workers through hands-on experiences in our Y Navigator and Tween Extreme camps. CITs help us better serve our younger campers by reading to them, preparing snacks, assisting with cleaning, and learning to plan and lead games, songs, and activities. Please note that completing the CIT Program does not guarantee future employment with the Northfield Y.
Objectives of the CIT Program
- To learn more about the specific skills needed for successfully working with children.
- To learn more about professionalism by completing mock interviews, going through the review of the application process, dressing for the job, and working with others.
Applications to be a CIT for Summer 2017 are due June 2, 2017. Download the application here or pick one up at the Northfield Y!
CIT Summer 2017 Session
July 17 – September 1
Time: Our summer day camp program (Y Navigators) is held Mon-Fri, 6:45 AM – 6:00 PM. Times will vary depending on the CIT’s availability – there is flexibility! The following guidelines must also be followed when scheduling volunteers under the age of 16:
- No more than 8 hours on a non-school day
- No more than 40 hours on a non-school week
- Not before 7am or after 7pm
Fees: $40 – this covers the cost of CIT shirt and a First Aid/CPR Certification
Registration & Application Information: At the time of registration, you will be required to provide the following information:
- Completed 2017 CIT Application (paper copies available at the Northfield Y)
- A reference letter from a teach, coach, club/church/school leader or family you babysit for
- The $40 registration fee
Space is limited. For questions related to Y Day Camps or CIT programs, please contact Liz Cooney, Youth Development Program Director, at 507-645-0088 or email@example.com